Mullins PC is singularly focused on the dynamic nonprofit community. We are driven to provide audit and tax preparation services and counsel that help our clients achieve their very important missions.
The AICPA has a nonprofit certificate program designed to challenge experienced nonprofit professionals in important practice areas. The Certificate II requires individuals to master complex accounting and financial reporting, tax compliance, governance and assurance matters in a variety of NFP settings.
The QuickBooks Pro Advisor certificate demonstrates proficiency with one of the most commonly used accounting systems for nonprofits.
Clients We Serve
- Schools and Youth Programs
- Religious Organizations
- Trade and Membership Associations
- Professional Societies
- Social Service Agencies
- Charitable Organizations
- Arts and Cultural Organizations
- Veterans Groups
- International Organizations
- Public Interest Groups
- Civic and Community Organizations
John Mullins is the principal of Mullins, PC. Experienced in all aspects of nonprofit auditing and taxation, John founded Mullins PC in order to better serve small and medium-sized nonprofits. Inspired by the meaningful impact his clients have on others, John has chosen to focus his over 15 year career on providing audit and tax services, as well as, support and advice to nonprofit organizations.
John’s experience includes audits, reviews, compilations, agreed-upon procedures, internal control assessments, tax return preparation and IRS compliance. His work frequently includes assisting nonprofit boards and leadership grasp the complex financial and tax regulations that affect their organizations. John is dedicated to providing support and advice to his clients beyond typical tax and audit services in order to ensure that nonprofit leaders understand the stories that their financials are telling.
Not only does John work extensively with nonprofits professionally, he also volunteers in various capacities with several local organizations. Through this service, John has gained additional insights and perspectives that he applies when serving his clients.
Professional Qualifications and Licenses/ Education
- Certified Public Accountant, Virginia
- Licensed in DC, Maryland and Virginia
- Bachelor of Science (Accounting), Miami University in Ohio
- AICPA’s Not-For- Profit Certificate I
- AICPA’s Not-For- Profit Certificate II
- QuickBooks Pro Advisor
Professional Associations and Activities
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- Not-For- Profit Section – American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- Greater Washington Society of CPAs (GWSCPA)
- GWSCPA Nonprofit Financial Accountability Task Force
Civic and Business Associations
- Board of Directors, Providence Hospital
- Audit Committee, Providence Hospital
- Board of Directors, Providence Health Foundation
- Finance Council, Providence Health Foundation
- Board Member, Loyola Retreat House, 2009 – 2015
- Treasurer, Loyola Retreat House, 2011 – 2015
- Founding Board Member, President’s Hockey Club of Washington, DC, 2008 – 2010
- Audit Committee, Capital Area Food Bank, 2005 – 2014
THE MULLINS ADVANTAGE
Our strength is in partnering with our clients’ leadership, boards and staffs and providing customized, actionable recommendations based on our years of experience in the nonprofit sector.
Mullins, PC believes that an audit does not need to be a chaotic and stressful time. Our goal is to perform a rigorous audit, utilize procedures that limit the burden of an audit on client personnel and provide meaning insight and observation to client leadership.
We do this through:
A Dedicated Focus on Small and Medium-Sized Nonprofits
- We work exclusively with nonprofits
- We are experts at working with organizations with limited financial resources and staff
- We are proficient in the dynamic trends and best practices of the nonprofit community
Services Performed by Experienced CPAs
- Our experienced CPAs examine all facets of financial records and operations
- Our staff is adept at interpreting financial results and providing context to non-profit leaders
- We work directly with the people, programs and procedures that drive financial results
A Respect for Our Clients
- By delivering valued services, our goal is to become a trusted resource to staff, leadership and the board
- We focus on proper planning and communications; we understand when and how to request information to limit the burden on our client’s staff
- We engage with our clients throughout the year – not just at audit time — so that we can be better informed for audit planning and fieldwork
Because we specialize in working with the nonprofit community, we can provide the highest quality service in the following areas: